- Cheap ! Good value if you're on a budget.
- Good usable zoom range - you would never need to change lenses for a lot of occasions
- Unfortunately , image quality not as good as more expensive lenses
- build quality can be fairly basic ( plastic )
- slow maximum aperture - Autofocus and hand held exposures suffer in low light. But some lenses come with Image Stabilisation or Vibration Reduction technology , making up for the relatively slow maxium aperture.
Some known kit lenses availaible in the market:
- Canon 18-55mm IS
- Canon 17-85mm IS
- Nikon 18-55mm EDII
- Nikon 18-55mm VR
- Nikon 18-70mm ED
- Pentax 18-55mm
- Samsung 18-55mm
- Olympus 14-42mm
- Sigma 18-50mm